Friday, January 10, 2014

The Watercolour Grecian Maxi Dress


I wanted to show you my newest make - from what I now call my Grecian Maxi Dress pattern, because it seems that patterns need names these days. and I can totally go with that! :)
I bought this fabric a couple of seasons ago at Arthur Toyes, which is sadly closing down soon. It is a soft, drapey cotton/rayon mix and it is a dream to wear. I lined it with cotton voile from Global-That-Was (must start calling it the Fabric Store) which was a hefty $16m. I did gasp, but Brooke the manager pointed out it is really good quality and you know what? She is SOOO right. Not all voiles are created equal at all, and this stuff is delicious. I can see it wearing really well, not pilling or getting out of shape, and helping my impossibly buttery rayon hold some shape too. But because it was pricey, I only lined it to the calf length and added a really wide lace trim to the bottom from my stash. Best decision ever as the fabric itself is so lovely against the legs...:) Funny though as the watercolour fabric was 50% off so it cost a lot less than the lining.
I am calling it my watercolour dress, even though it is about as watercoloury as the previous one, as used to illustrate the envelope I made for the pattern:
Left: Grecian Maxi pattern envelope, with original "As seen on TV" watercolour dress, now worn so thin I am reluctant to wear it!
This pattern I draped/drafted ages ago, and I made three dresses. The first was a mess, and I am remaking the bodice - more on that later. The second was the original watercolour dress as shown above. The third I have been living in, and never photographed. I will rectify this soon.

I also have another two dresses cut out, one in each style.

Tell me, is this a weird thing I do, falling for a couple of styles and just making them over and over? I find it difficult to come up with styles that suit my shape and lifestyle, and maxi dresses are so perfect for summer here, and for me, but a couple of people have pointed out they can't tell them apart hehe. At least I will now have a BLUE dress, and another one coming up not in red or purple or green too. (and yes, another one in red and green, I confess. At least I know what I like ;-))

16 comments:

  1. SO pretty.. This one is my favorite.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - both the colours and the draping. I can almost sense how cool it is to wear and sweep about in during your much hotter summers Than ours. Despite the initial shock of the expensive lining it must be wonderful to know that not only does it look amazing, but that it feels amazing and you haven't compromised in a dress that by all accounts you'll wear until it wears out. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, Winnie! These days I only stop for a moment before spending money on something I am going to use, because I just don't want to invest time and effort anymore into cheap fabrics that don't wear well.
      I am not sure our summer is that flash, actually, it's rained a lot! But I feel the heat. Pity the poor things in Western Australia though with 40+ C most days. I experienced it about 13 years ago and it was amazing but really, really hot hot hot! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this Mrs C! Its very glamorous for summer. I don't think its weird to make the same pattern over and over - I basically do it all the time. In fact I've decided I want to try and make some different patterns and I always end up buying new patterns, but I just make the same old trusted patterns over and over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, a woman after my own heart. Because of course for us it is all about the amazing prints on the fabric, non?

      Delete
  4. I love this dress pattern. I agree it does suit you and I love, love, love a great maxi. It look so dreamy and the colours just scream summer. Make more is what I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. C.,
    Pretty, pretty, pretty, and cool, cool, cool. Love those draped necklines: they're so fetching and so airy. Great for those moments when the breezes are faint.

    I think it's perfectly smart to find a style and stick with it. Think Katherine Hepburn. She knew what worked on her and that's what she wore. I do the same. For me in winter it's, well, you'll laugh, but it's school uniform plaid pleated skirts and sweaters, with black tights. The skirts are actually skorts, and they wear like iron, as they should. So do the sweaters, some of which are nearing 15-20 years old. Gracious. Well, good wool is good wool! No pill and worth every penny, 'specially when you locate them in a consignment shop (op shop?) to begin with.

    Happy summer from where it's decidedly winter,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loves it. Such a great look! And I've never been compared to Katherine Hepburn before. I'll take it, thanks ;-)

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful dress! I've always thought you a very graceful person and these maxis suit the way you move by sort of floating along and there's nothing wrong with knowing what you love and and working it. How is it different from wearing jeans and tees over and over? (Except, you know, prettier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you sweet one! That's an excellent way to look at it,I have to agree! xo

      Delete
  7. LoveloveLOVE this dress on you - it's gorgeous and the colour is perfect. And your hair in the photo is very in keeping with the Grecian theme. I bet it's nice sewing for yourself again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT surely is. Although right now I ought to be sewing, not watching Sherlock! ;-)

      Delete
  8. It's very Wellington Summer Glam - You know what you like, you know what suits you so I say make as many as you like! :)

    ReplyDelete