Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Friday Makes..on a Wednesday?

OK OK, it's not Friday anywhere on the planet, but I am too excited about having this one to wait!
23 years ago two dear friends of mine got married - Liz and Brendan.
In those days, New Zealand was truly a backwater, where you couldn't buy much of anything. Dupion silk we could do but not much else. I adore DS so no problem there, but I did have to send to Fotios Bros in Sydney for real glass pearls and crystal beads - no internet shopping in 1991!
Also the wedding magazines were featuring a lot of embroidered cutwork insets, but none were forthcoming from the shops, so in good kiwi style, I decided to do my own.
Which is why I have Liz's dress at my house again. I am speaking to the Wellington Embroiderer's Guild next week and have been sourcing things to show them, which is not easy when one tends to strew one's works around! Luckily not only are Liz and Brendan still married, they live locally and I knew she still had it.

 A close up of the inset. This was made separately and hand sewn into the space afterwards. I had forgotten the design and was delighted to see my old favourite the Clematis, as also featured on my sister's and my own dresses.
A full length shot showing the rich colour better. The design was unusual even for the time. In those days, we had a pleating service in town, and I love pleats as they give a gown a tailored look. Liz didn't want a straight dress but she didn't want a poofy one either so pleats turned out to be the perfect approach.
 The sleeves. This was worked directly onto the sleeve - I can feel some lightweight interfacing in behind it to give it some stability. 
Close up of the inset with contrast cranked up. This is on a white sheet.

 And that is what I got up to 23 years ago in the school holidays (I was a primary school teacher)! :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow - what amazing work!! And you were just a school girl too - obviously a very talented seamstress even all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you sweet thing - I was a teacher! :) 26 years old too! But I am flattered you thought I was still at school.

      Delete
  2. How fabulous is that - not only great work but has really lasted the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity Liz has three sons, no daughters to inherit it!

      Delete
  3. So gorgeous! The design of the dress shows the time, but anything else does not! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the sleeve shape does and the dropped waist, but I reckon it would be remodellable! :)

      Delete
  4. This is exquisite, absolutely beautiful. You constantly amaze and impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs C - you are amazing ALL of the time!! This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete