Saturday, September 19, 2015

Christmas Plans already!

I have plans, Readers! Lots of USOs (un-started objects!) and in some ways that is worse than UFOs - because UFOs are a bit like those really active molecules hunting for atoms to bond with and make lovely new things, so have a certain energy that makes them attractive. But USOs are just piles of fabric that require cutting out. Erk, I dislike cutting out, and the idea of having to do it puts me right off sewing sometimes.
HOWEVER, I have made some progress. Constance is Emceeing several Christmas shows and I felt that it was time to make a special Christmas costume.
Remember, all costumes must be seen from space, so I was thrilled to haul a length of red sequinned fabric out of my stash (I don't remember buying it!). It is gorgeous - the sequins are sewn on not stuck on, at one point only so they can all move and shimmer deliciously. The fabric has a little stretch too.
Of course, a Christmas costume requires white fur trim. But we are having cream feather boa instead. Because Constance.
I riffled through my patterns looking for an off the shoulder number but to no avail. Then I thought oh good grief, that is why you penuried yourself to get a dressmaker's dummy! So I draped it using pattern cloth, and when I was happy, I cut it out of the sequin yummy stuff, checked it on me, tweaked it and tada! This is where we are at!
 Rolled up hand towels are an essential addition, replacing my arms ;-)
 And with the feathers pinned in place

I really like the drapey thing across the front. I used to look at such things with a sense of sadness that I could never wear them (where? why?) but now I have the perfect excuse.
Now, this dummy is very rigid in ways that I am not. I am soft, squishy and bumpy. BUT, under this costume I will be wearing a corset so I will be rigid at the time. Not super tight or anything, just firm and smoothing. Not for every day use however!

So, there we are. I imagine it will stay like this until three days before I need it, as usual. Right now, as in today, I need to complete and then learn a new song for next Saturday. And another one for the following Saturday, as well as a bit of costuming. And my six day a week job.

Oh one last thing, colouring in is a big trend right now I believe. So I gave it a go. We sell Doodle Art pads and one is on the counter with thee fab twist up crayons so anyone can have a wee go while they are being served or waiting etc.
I did the big butterfly to get the ball rolling :)


See you all soon!

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you didn't buy the sequinned material. Maybe your stash is multiplying of its own accord, like a cornucopia of plenty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that makes a lot more sense! there is quite a sizeable stash of sequinned fabrics in there and I swear some of them I have never seen in my life before. Maybe that's how sequinned fabrics are made -not from others but from non-sequinned fabrics breeding?

      Delete
  2. Haha, re the first comment. That would be excellent! I like your draping. Can't wait to see how it looks on. I used to have a big Doodle Art poster and this image brought back some very vivid memories - good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the whole idea of colouring in for adults but I love the ize of a Doodle Art pad, because several people can get around it at the same time and work upon it. A good thing for Gin Parties.

      Delete
  3. "Remember, all costumes must be seen from space"
    OMG AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I will keep this in mind for future costuming!

    The sequinned top is stunning! I'm a little sad to see it disappear under the feather boa, although I think it's appropriate for a Christmas outfit. I hope the details of your top aren't completely lost under the feathers when it's actually worn!

    What are you planning for a bottom? A sparkly skirt? Some fancy sparkly black pants? Because I'm sure whatever you make will surely have sparkles. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation Heather, it doesn't disappear quite so much on me as I am more spread out? And with my arms and things it just seems to work better. This is the bodice of a top which will have a longish tailed peplum that is quite circular in cut. Like my Ring Master's one. and I will wear it with the fish tail black skirt as I will probably do several costume changes. The trick here in NZ is to find Christmassy looks that are not hot, as in Nov/Dec it can be really very warm, and velvet, sleeves etc are disastrous!

      Delete
  4. This is going to be beautiful. Red is my favorite color, and Christmas is so fun.. KNow you will look beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished garment. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, I hate cutting out too! This will look fab! Love the red sequins. Can't wait to see it on Constance.

    ReplyDelete