Sunday, February 7, 2016

The British Came!

Last night we conquered the British, onstage at Caburlesque - the British are Coming!
Because the amazing Sadie von Scrumptious is American and knows what a Britophile I am, she asked me if I'd like to emcee that night instead of her. WOULD I!! Within an hour I had planned eight different characters I wanted to do Yup, it's my thing all right!
In the end I edited it down to four - Mary Poppins, Queen Victoria, Britannia and Edina Monsoon from Ab fab.
The last was inspired by having a young friend who does the BEST Patsy drag I've ever seen. Really for a 22 year old male, he can portray Patsy scarily well.
Did I get a photo of us together? Pfft. I am bad enough at all that but emceeing requires a lot of focus, and with me chucking in different characters, a choreographed finale that we never got to rehearse first, lots of music cues, and we had a last minute substitution in the cast too so it was pretty intense.
A couple of friends snapped pics, and here they are:
 Edina, remembering she's a Womble in the finale
Backstage pic by Melody Riot - I am wearing a head mike which is why I appear to have a huge wart on my cheek!
Eddie is fun. The trick is to find a bunch of pieces that are styly and busy, and put them together so they clash. I had on a leopard and rose mini dress, a hot pink Hermes patterned waistcoat, dark green leggings and gold shoes. I donned the gold duster coat after my reveal. The hair was fun - curled hair extensions sewn into the inside of the Union Jack head band! Wrap it around, vecro at the back and instant long frizzy hair! It was good as I got to drink fizzy water out of a champagne flute and pretend it was Bolly.
Anyway, the official photographer usually has some pics for us within 24 hours but I know she had a wedding the day before and a pin up competition today, so it may take a bit longer for them to come through! I will post some when that happens.

10 comments:

  1. What a brilliant costume. I would have loved to have been there. I LOVED Ab Fab. It was so funny. Sounds like a fabulous night. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was! And Eddie can be as rude to people as I want and everyone loves it!

      Delete
  2. What fun and you get to wear such fabulous outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Bunny - things one would never be seen in anywhere else!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! Love the costume. It sounds like a really great night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always seem to be having so much fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the selectiveness of internettage. But I have done four shows this week, and I am pooped! They were all great fun mind you!

      Delete